So it’s January – that time when we all promise ourselves that this year will be different/better in some ways. Often we promise ourselves that we’ll get fit, exercise more, be more physically active. I’ll be posting some thoughts about exercise over the coming weeks, but to start you off…
If I told you that there was a kind of magic you could perform that would make sure you have:
- up to a 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
- up to a 50% lower risk of colon cancer
- up to a 20% lower risk of breast cancer
- a 30% lower risk of early death
- up to an 83% lower risk of osteoarthritis
- up to a 68% lower risk of hip fracture
- a 30% lower risk of falls (among older adults)
- up to a 30% lower risk of depression
- up to a 30% lower risk of dementia
… would you believe me? Well, there is! It’s EXERCISE! It’s medically proven that regular exercise can do this!
Look out for some ideas about exercise over the next few weeks, but if you’re interested, have a look at this page from NHS choices in the meantime!